Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Jack N' Jill Pebble Watchface

I recently got a Pebble smartwatch as a gift from one of my uncles. So, I decided that I'd make good use of it and develop something for it. I started off by looking at all the available apps and watchfaces on the pebble appstore, which revealed a lot of cool and interesting stuff that people have done there. Finally, I decided to develop a Jack N' Jill themed watchface for it. I figured that it would make a cute little display for a watch and it might also get some people interested in my game.

I also thought that it would be a good idea to put in some useful features like displaying the current location and the weather/temperature for the said location, along with displaying the time, date and day. Doing this wasn't as hard as I initially thought it would be. In fact it was quite easy to understand, thanks to all the guides and tutorials available on the net, and also the well made Pebble Native SDK.

The native SDK is C based and uses JavaScript to communicate with the host smartphone device (and consequently the web). Although I do know C programming, I've never developed a functional app using the language. Figuring out how to do things within the boundaries set by the platform was quite an enjoyable experience and I learnt quite a few new things in the process.

Screenshots:





If you use a Pebble smartwatch you can download the watchface for free




3 comments: